Home Depot has been helping people maintain, renovate and remodel their homes for many years. Through the use of a Home Depot Money Off Coupon from We Are Coupons you can save money on maintenance, renovation and remodelling. We all know what home maintenance is but what is the difference between remodelling and renovating?
In a Nutshell
In a nutshell the difference between home renovation and home remodelling is best explained by Lars Remodelling and Design on Realtor.com “The key difference is how deep the changes go. A renovation means you’re updating an existing structure with cosmetic changes, whereas a remodel involves changing the structure through demolition and construction”
The best way to explain renovation is with a practical example. Take your bathroom for example. When you renovate you give your bathroom a new look, cosmetic in many ways. You can repaint, change your counters and cabinets and maybe even upgrade the showerhead and faucets. You can put down a new floor and of course repair any leaks and it will still be classed as renovation.
When you renovate major changes such and new pipework and plumbing are not undertaken. You could install a like for like bathtub but the plumbing and any wiring in the bathroom would stay in place. Many people confusing renovating with remodelling and consider a lick or paint and some new faucets a remodel when in fact, it is not.
Remodelling is somewhat more drastic than a simple renovation and more than cosmetic. A remodel can see you turn a bathroom into a wet room or just a shower room. Plumbing may be moved or added and walls can even be knocked down or built. A remodel is much more work than a renovation.
Remodelling costs more money because you are changing a lot more than can be seen on the surface. Construction forms part of a remodel and construction along with new wiring and plumbing costs money.
Things to consider about Renovating
- Renovating is cheaper as no major changes or structural work is required
- Renovating does not repurpose a room or space
- Renovating is a easier for a DIY enthusiast and can be done easily without a contractor
- Renovating can be quicker
- Renovation may not require a permit.
- Renovating can add value to your home for very little outlay
- Remodelling is a large task
- Remodelling changes layouts and can give you the rooms you need.
- Remodelling generally costs more
- Remodelling can be cheaper than buying a new home.
- Remodelling nearly always requires a permit.
- Remodelling will often require the services of professional contractors
- Remodelling can add significant value to your property.
Things to Know about Remodelling