Owning a home is a dream come true for many. However, homeownership also brings responsibilities with it. As a homeowner, knowing what tasks you can do yourself versus which ones to outsource to a professional can spare you time and stress. You can also save money handling DIY tasks yourself—especially if you use We Are Coupons to get the tools and supplies you need. Read on for a quick guide to DIY versus expert home maintenance.
Start by Making a Maintenance Plan to Prioritize Important Fixes
Strategic planning will allow you to budget your money and develop a maintenance timeline.
- Prioritize repairs that can impede a home's liveability and safety, such as flooring, roofing, and foundation fixes.
- Follow up by addressing any necessary repairs to essential home systems, including HVAC, plumbing, and electrical.
- Once you have a list of necessary fixes to make, get a sense of how much time they'll take and create a project plan.
Tackle Simple Projects That Can Boost Home Value Yourself
Save your hard-earned cash by tackling these DIY home renovation tasks yourself.
- You can make your interiors look like new with a fresh coat of paint.
- Sprucing up your home's exterior is likewise a simple task you can do yourself with the help of a pressure washer.
- Don't forget the property as a whole. Consider DIY landscaping projects like adding edging, lighting, and mulch.
- RedFin recommends keeping track of all your home improvement costs, as you can use these to justify a higher home value in the future.
Turn to Experts for More Complex Home Improvements
These complicated tasks require specialized knowledge and expertise and are best left to pros.
- Complex projects that are best left to experts include roofing, tree removal, electrical work, demolition, and tiling.
- Maintenance of essential home systems like HVAC is likewise best left in the capable hands of an expert.
- When hiring professionals for complicated tasks like roofing, know what queries to ask to assure their expertise—such as if they are insured and licensed.
- Once all your renovations and fixes are done, hire cleaning professionals with the expert tools and knowledge to make your house sparkle.
Maintaining a property requires dedication and investment. That said, you can save money by taking care of DIY-friendly tasks, like interior painting, yourself. Other more complex jobs are best left to the experts. The above resources can help you determine which way to go.